Discover the medieval village of Savuto!
The small village of Savuto has medieval origins and is a fraction of the municipality of Cleto, in the province of Cosenza, rich in known history and culture; it is also known as the guardian of the river. Let’s get to our post! Discover the medieval village of Savuto! Here at Traveling to Calabria you make the trip of your dreams!!! Are you staying in Calabria? LOOKING FOR A HOTEL IN CALABRIA? Check our suggestions! Click here!
Ana Patricia in Savuto
Savuto was built in the 12th century, ordered by Charles I of Anjou, as a fortress to control the Savuto River, of the same name, an important access point for the invaders (Turks and Saracens) who, having reached the coast, were trying to enter the backcountry. That is why it is known as the guardian of the river. It has had several historical names: Sabat, Sabuci, Savutello and today Savuto, small and perched on a rock on which the castle is located at the highest point.
Attractions in Savuto
Despite being very small, Savuto is full of charms that only small medieval villages can offer. Narrow streets and alleys between old houses and decorated portals, which alternate with panoramic points that accompany you to the main attraction, such as the ancient Angevin castle. How about visiting the attractions in Savuto?
1) Discover the medieval village of Savuto: Angevin Castle
Access to the old Angevin Castle is via the access ramp, which reaches the semicircular front part that looks like a tower, but is not. Military architectural instrument to protect access to the perfect round arch, which is characterized by its vaulted entrance hall that, crossing it, takes you on a journey through time to the Middle Ages.
The Castle (part of which has been restored) is characterized by two courtyards, the smaller one at the back and the larger one, identified as a square of arms, characterized by the surrounding walls and the only circular tower present. The Castle offers us a unique panoramic view, which allows us to look along the river valley to the sea, even more beautiful and private at sunset. Also read What are the must-see castles in Calabria?
2) Discover the medieval village of Savuto: Eliodora Sambiase
Although the castle was born as a military garrison, a symbol of defense and protection, in 1500, the noble Eliodora Sambiase, wife of Arnone, ordered the start of restoration work on the old manor, which became a manor house.
In the same period, there was the insertion of a Latin phrase in the castle that, translated, is a hymn to hospitality: “Eliodora Sambiase, already a young wife united to her husband Arnone, offers temples to God, clear waters and green gardens to the nymphs and Savuto Castle to anyone who needs them.”
3) Discover the medieval village of Savuto: The Church and Madonna della Mazzarella.
The village, being very small, conserves in the central part the only cult building, the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, with a single nave, which preserves inside the statue of the Madonna del Soccorso (Mazzarella, in the local dialect), which is iconographically characterized by the mace she holds in her hand, as an action and gesture of defense against the demon/devil who tries to lead the faithful into temptation.
Celebrated on the first Sunday of August, the local population is very devout, even in Cadana where there is a large community of Savutane origin.
4) Discover the medieval village of Savuto: EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.
One of the local products of excellence is extra virgin olive oil.
In 18 square kilometers of territory, more than 200,000 olive trees with 10 active places that produce excellent olive oil. All the inhabitants of Savuto di Cleto own olive trees and produce olive oil. If you decide to visit it, it is almost mandatory to try and buy this local product.
Are you enjoying our content? So discover our e-book with amazing tips on itineraries, awesome places where you can taste the best of the Calabria flavor, where to sleep and much more! Make your Travel To Calabria unique with our practical guide!
What to do in Savuto? Excursions and gastronomic and wine experiences.
In addition to getting lost in the alleys of the village and enjoying the views, it is possible to discover the territory in the most naturalistic wall with pedestrian routes of different degrees of difficulty and interest. It is the historical cultural trekking, naturalistic archeotrekking, which allows you to discover the territory at 360°, but not only that!
It is also possible to live a gastronomic and wine experience, enjoying local dishes even in particular contexts and places. Also read: Calabrian Gastronomy: history, aromas and flavors.
- This post was produced by our partner Ivan Arella, from the Borgo Pietramala Association. Find out more about Borgo Pietramala!
Are you going to stay in Savuto?
Know that by booking on our blog through Booking.com you will be helping to maintain our website and you will not pay anything more for that, as the reservation service is FREE. That is, no booking or administrative fees, and reservations can be canceled for free.
Where to stay in Savuto? II Tempo B&B
Experience the villa according to your needs, in a B&B formula complete with all services and with the charm of waking up surrounded by the atmosphere of the historic center! The accommodation is in Cleto, but it is a 5-minute drive from Savuto.
- Rating: 9.2 (Fantastic!)
- Average daily rate: US$ 90.00*
- Location: Lamezia Terme is 22 km from the accommodation, while Catanzaro is 43 km away and Amantea is 9 km away.
- Address: Via Roma, 87030 Cleto, Italy
- Services: private bathroom, flat-screen TV, free wifi, air conditioning, airport transfer (additional cost) and they speak English and Italian
- Breakfast included: No.
- (*) the value is an average of the daily rate for two people; values may vary according to the season, without prior notice.
Where to eat in Savuto? Il Tempo Locanda
In this simple but cozy place, you will eat real local food!! With a taste of authenticity 🙂
- Address: Via Roma, 87030 Cleto CS
- Website: https://www.locandailtempo.it/il-ristorante-il-tempo/
- Opening hours: not informed, we suggest you call in order to get information.
- Phone: +39 340 274 1517
How to get to Savuto?
1) How to get to Savuto? BY AIRPLANE
It is advisable to take a flight to Lamezia Terme airport, about 21 km from the city. Find out here how to get from Lamezia Terme airport to the center of Lamezia, Cosenza and Reggio Calabria!
From there, you can travel in three ways:
- Train: look for the Railway Station and track your train journey
- Car: car rental to go to Cleto;
- Bus: there is also the possibility of traveling by bus.
Also read our posts about Airports in Italy:
- HOW TO GO FROM THE ROME AIRPORT TO THE CENTER OF ROME?
- HOW TO GO FROM THE MALPENSA AIRPORT TO THE CENTER OF MILANO?
- HOW TO GO FROM VENICE AIRPORT TO VENICE CENTER
2) How to get to Savuto? BY TRAIN
Cleto is connected by trains with the main Italian cities. To get to Savuto, the best way is to take a train to:
- Lamezia Terme Central Station: 20km from Cleto; or
- Cosenza Train Station: 26 km from Cleto
At the stations there are buses and transfer services to Cleto, but the public transport service is a little outdated, so I recommend renting a car to do this route, using a transfer (click for more information) or taking a tour with me.
Did you know?
Trenitalia is the main Italian company dedicated to the management of railway transport? Find out here “What is the difference between trains in Italy?”. Buy your ticket online in advance and save a lot, read the Post “How to buy a train ticket in Italy?”.
Find out more about Italy by visiting my other Blog, Your Travel to Italy!
3) How to get to Savuto? BY CAR
To reach Savuto by car, take the exits closest to the center of Cleto:
- S.Mango d’Aquino exit | A2 Mediterranean highway | Salerno-Reggio Calabria | 3.35 km from the city center
- Altilia – Grimaldi exit | A2 Mediterranean highway | Salerno-Reggio Calabria | 8.06 km from city center
Read here some examples and tips about Travel by car in Italy!
Travelling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
Important to know
- Also, it is important to know that in tourist cities there are places (historic centers) where PARKING IS PROHIBITED , and it can only be used by people who live there! That’s why it’s important not to go to these places so as not to take unnecessary fines.
- How to understand what these places are? See the post that talks about it, but anyway, another tip for those who are unsure about it, is to park a little outside the center and go downtown on foot or, spending a little more, by taxi or other public transport.
What about a tour in Savuto with me?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Discover the medieval village of Savuto! Savuto is a little Calabrian gem that deserves to be visited. You will be enchanted by its landscapes and its atmosphere that takes us on a true journey through time!
Are you insecure?
If you feel insecure or don’t have time, and need help organizing your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier 🙂
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have doubts just leave your comment below and I will reply asap!
TRAVELING TO CALABRIA IS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE, BUT BEING A REGION WITH A SMALL TOURISM INFRASTRUCTURE FOR FOREIGNERS, IT IS NOT SO SIMPLE TO VISIT THIS AMAZING PLACE WITHOUT ANY HELP, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON’T SPEAK ITALIAN.
HIRING OUR SERVICES YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ADMIRE EVERYTHING THAT THIS BEAUTIFUL AND SPETACULAR REGION HAS TO OFFER!
ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MOMENT BY HIRING THE SERVICES OF A PROFESSIONAL THAT CAN GIVE YOU THE GUARANTEE OF THE BEST SERVICE.
WHY EXPERIENCE STRESSFUL TIMES ON YOUR SO DREAM VACATION IF YOU CAN HAVE EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE FOR THE BEST COST – BENEFIT?
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR RATES, ‘MY GUIDE’ SERVICES, TOURIST ESCORTING, INTERPRETER OR ASSISTANCE TO FIND THE DOCUMENTS OF YOUR RELATIVES CALABRESES, EMAIL ME!
SEARCH, COMPARE AND CHOOSE! YOU WILL NOT REGRET!
I AM A GUIDE WITH EXPERTISE IN PORTUGUESE AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN CALABRIA, AND I AM SURE YOU WILL LOVE TO SEE THIS AMAZING ITALIAN REGION WITH ME! IT WILL BE AN UNFORGETTABLE JOURNEY!
I’M WAITING FOR YOU! 🙂
* FOR TOURISTIC SERVICES IN OTHER LANGUAGES, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL.