With a good airport structure, Calabria airports offer good options to and from several cities in the region. Today we will know more about it! Let´s go?! How to get to Calabria and how to move around Calabria? Stay with us and make the best of boot country! Here at Your Travel to Calabria you make the trip of your dreams!!! Are you staying in Calabria? Looking for a hotel? Click here and discover best accommodation options in Calabria!
Lets go to know our Calabria?
A Little more about Calabria…
Calabria, like all southern Italy, was colonized by many peoples and the one who gave great importance to the region was the Greek people, denominating this region as Magna Graecia, which is a colonized land of greater importance than its own colony of foundation. After the Greeks, came the Romans, the Byzantines, Normans, Swabians, Angevins and Aragonese. Precisely because of this, Calabria is a land so diverse and in every part of the Calabrian territory we will find a different cultural and artistic heritage!
Unfortunately, few tourists have been in Calabria; this is because this land is not yet known by most tourists, but also for other reasons, such as its geography; it is not easy to get around this region and when the tourists come to Italy they think of going only to the most famous regions like Veneto, Lombardy, Liguria, Tuscany, Sicily and Campania and, obviously, Lazio, with the “eternal city” Rome, losing the charms and magic that Calabria can offer. However, we have the solution to this small inconvenience regarding transportation, itineraries and guided tours: we make tours, in small groups or individual, and in English! See all the posts about Calabria!
To know more about Calabria read all the other posts about this region! It will surely awaken in you the desire to know this beautiful, but little explored, region! Let’s talk a bit more about this in the options below, as well talk about getting to and around Calabria.
1) How to get to Calabria and how to move around Calabria? BY PLANE
There are 3 airports in Calabria:
- Lamezia Terme International Airport: this is the most important airport and is the one I advise you to use. There are even direct flights from other countries if you are not arriving in Rome or Milan.
- Reggio Calabria Airport: with several daily arrivals and departures from/to Rome and Milan.
- Crotone Airport: with various arrivals and departures from several Italian cities.
2) How to get to Calabria and how to move around Calabria? BY TRAIN
The train in Calabria is, perhaps, one of the most convenient ways to travel to the different regions of Italy and also to move within the region to the larger cities like Cosenza, Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Crotone, Paola, etc., while to the smaller cities, sometimes, it will be necessary to make several connections, including there local railways, which unite some small villages; the problem is that, often, these railroads do not even have a website to get more information so you can only buy tickets when you are already in the city of departure such as Cosenza or Reggio Calabria, and you get the risk of not having more tickets for the day you want, having to wait a day or two in the city of origin.
There are several trains departing from Rome and Naples every day to the main cities of Calabria (Paola, Cosenza, Reggio Calabria). Let me give you an idea of time: from Rome (from 5 to 9 hours) and from Naples (from 4 to 6 hours). To buy tickets with departure from the bigs cities, you can go directly to their website: click here! If you prefer, go straight to the train station once you there.
3) How to get to Calabria and how to move around Calabria? BY BUS
A effective option, besides the train to reach Calabria, is by bus, there are several lines that depart every day from Rome, Naples and some cities in Sicily. The main Calabrian bus companies are: IAS(CS); La Valle – (CS); Lirosi Autoservizi srl – (RC); SAJ – (CS); Simet -(CS).
If used to reach large cities such as Reggio, Catanzaro, Cosenza, Sibari or Crotone is a great option; to get to the various villages in the mountains, it is the worst way of transport indicated, since there are only a few lines (and few daily departures); So: is an option to be discarded if you want to know the Calabrian villages.
4) How to get to Calabria and how to move around Calabria? BY CAR
To know the Calabrian villages the best option is the following: Calabria is one of those regions that if you really want to know, you will need a car, so you can visit the villages that are lost between the mountains, as well discover the natural beauties of this region, practically untouched by classic tourism. SEE THE PHOTOS OF MY CALABRIA
By Car: The A3 highway is the backbone of Calabria and connects the region to Naples and Rome.
- Another ideal solution would be to get on a flight and pick up a car at the various car rental dealers that are located at the three Calabrian airports, or get to the main cities (Paola, Cosenza and Réggio) by train and, from there, rent a car.
- In my opinion this is the best option! (Consider guided tours that offer private cars and so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery that the road offers to get to your destination! The value is almost the same as a rented car, you do not have to worry about driving on a road you do not know and you will be safer to enjoy your trip with comfort and coziness!)
- See the post I wrote with an 8-day itinerary in Calabria! – COMING SOON! -Only the best of the best! ROAD TRIP IN ITALY: CALABRIA! (coming soon).
Traveling in Italy by car?
Don’t know where to rent the car? We have a partner who can help: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, leaving home, with English service, paying in Real, without IOF charges and still being able to pay in installments in 12x without interest on the card? How about a 5% discount for cash payment? Like the idea? Then click on the banner below Search, compare and choose! 🙂
A Little more of the Beauties of Calabria
Watch this video: Discovering Calabria with Ana Patricia: tour in Cosenza
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Imagine a place of incomparable beauty, where time seems to have stopped and where the beauty of the sea and the sunsets of summer will warm the desire of the ideal vacations! If this is your wish, you have to come to the splendid land of Calabria, a land of culture, history, traditions, typical flavors… feel like, not only as a traveler, but as a guest.
TRAVELING TO CALABRIA IS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE, BUT BEING A REGION WITH A SMALL TOURISM INFRASTRUCTURE FOR FOREIGNERS, IT IS NOT SO SIMPLE TO VISIT THIS AMAZING PLACE WITHOUT ANY HELP, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON’T SPEAK ITALIAN.
HIRING OUR SERVICES YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ADMIRE EVERYTHING THAT THIS BEAUTIFUL AND SPETACULAR REGION HAS TO OFFER!
ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MOMENT BY HIRING THE SERVICES OF A PROFESSIONAL THAT CAN GIVE YOU THE GUARANTEE OF THE BEST SERVICE.
WHY EXPERIENCE STRESSFUL TIMES ON YOUR SO DREAM VACATION IF YOU CAN HAVE EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE FOR THE BEST COST – BENEFIT?
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR RATES, ‘MY GUIDE’ SERVICES, TOURIST ESCORTING, INTERPRETER OR ASSISTANCE TO FIND THE DOCUMENTS OF YOUR RELATIVES CALABRESES, EMAIL ME!
SEARCH, COMPARE AND CHOOSE! YOU WILL NOT REGRET!
I AM A GUIDE WITH EXPERTISE IN PORTUGUESE AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN CALABRIA, AND I AM SURE YOU WILL LOVE TO SEE THIS AMAZING ITALIAN REGION WITH ME! IT WILL BE AN UNFORGETTABLE JOURNEY!
I’M WAITING FOR YOU! 🙂
* FOR TOURISTIC SERVICES IN OTHER LANGUAGES, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL.
An Extra Help for your Trip
Your dream trip to Italy needs a differentiated, reliable service, with excellence and within your budget.
The best content from Viajando para a Itália!
Learn more about our tours in Calabria right now!
- Itinerary for 3 days in Calabria?
- Itinerary for 6 days in Calabria?
- Learning To Cook In Calabria? Itinerary in 7 days: the best!
- What are the 10 places you need to go in Calabria?
- Why should you visit Tropea in Calabria?
- All about Reggio.
- All about Cosenza.
- What is the best time of the year to go to Calabria?
- How to get from Lamezia Terme airport to downtown of Lamezia, Cosenza and Reggio Calabria?
- Where to stay in Calabria?
Check all our posts about Calábria!
Best regards from Calábria